October 11, 2008

Thanksgivin'er

I left Ottawa early Thursday morning and took the train to Toronto. It was a beautiful ride. The red gold and green of the leaves rushed past like streaks of paint. I saw a marsh with dozens of wood ducks, a pumpkin patch dotted with hundreds of orange balls, a herd of bison and antelope. Yes antelope. I don't know what they do with them. I also saw a brilliant orange sunset on Georgian bay as we drove from Wasaga Beach towards Owen Sound.

Last night I went to see my old friend John. We drank some of his home-brew and explained death time , space and the financial crisis to his 9 year old daughter. She is a really bright and inquisitive kid. She actually is fluent in French too. I didn't know there was a French school in Owen Sound but there is. In fact Owen Sound has changed a lot since I grew up here. There are now three organic/fair trade coffee houses here and some nice boho hangouts that I never saw before. I went with a friend to the Framer's Market for the first time in my life. It was a all fresh local produce and a lot of it organic. One baker even grew their wheat and spelt and ground it to make their baked goods. There was live music too, fiddles accordion guitar.

There were all kinds of jams and jellies, local syrup, oils, candles, honey, fresh fish from the bay, arts and crafts. I never knew we had this community here. I bought some soap made with emu oil and lavender to give as gifts, again all locally produced. For lunch i had a delicious grilled pesto, hummus, tomato sandwich. We walked back and enjoyed what is one of the finest days of the year, the air alternating between, warm but not hot, cool but not chilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment