March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

I am superstitious but I do not believe in superstition. It's what you would call a conflict between the rational mind and the emotional. I don't think that there is anything particularly foreboding about the con fluence of an arbitrary system of numbering and of naming time periods. And yet there always lingers in the background the notion that maybe bad things are bound to happen because it is Friday the 13th. Like an ostracized boy at the prom who stands to the side never taking to the floor, it is there if I choose to look. But I try to avoid it. I don't want to see what might be there.

Meanwhile I've decided to do some spring cleaning of my life. I put 200 vinyl recordings on sale last night. I got two responses almost immediately. I decided owning 800 records of which I rarely ever touch was undesirable. I have 400 more set aside for eventual dispersal and 200 core records I want to hang on too because I just simply like having them around.

It was like going through an old photo album last night sorting through the stacks of sleeves. Memories from 1980-2004 at which point I stopped buying and was sucked into the world of mp3s. I stopped buying new lps sometime in the early 1990s when the industry moved to the CD as the standard format. There was a transition period for year or two when I didn't own a CD player and I purchased cassettes.

Here is the plan: I made three piles: 1. Keepers, 2) dumpers, 3) Transfers.

Keepers are discs that have sentimental value as objects themselves.
Dumpers are discs I never really listened to more than once and have little to no attachment to. Transfers are discs with content that isn't readily available in digital format but that I want to transfer to such. Maybe even just one song. When I'm done discs in this categpry will also be sold.

Gotta have a hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Simone was born on Friday the 13th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew Joe is also a Friday the 13th baby.

    ReplyDelete