September 13, 2008

Last Weekend

It was a fun weekend the last. Saturday I went over to my bosses house for some great homemade pesto, garlic bread and roasted red peppers. Mmmmmmm. They even bought one of my favourite beers, Mill Street's Tankhouse Ale. After dinner we sat around drank a Brazilian red wine and told ghost stories. Some eerie things happen out East is all I can say. Afterwards I stopped off at my old friend Jan's. We ended up going around the corner to the Elmdale Tavern and had some Beau's a fine local brew, and watched a corny but good old time country band. A lot of Carleton students hang out there so we sat in on one tables conversation. It was sad and strange watching the really drunk old guy dragging his girlfriend around the floor trying to dance, when clearly she didn't want to. Finally she sat down and he danced all by himself.

I slept at Jan's and made my way home for a meeting with a friend to go see the exhibit at the National gallery. It was a great collection of European works on the theme of "the New Man" that developed along with Fascism. They had works by Kandinsky, Picasso and all the other usual suspects. It was an interesting balance of art that glorified a fascist ideal and that which critiqued it.

Afterward we went for Vietnamese food even though it's Ramadan and my friend should not have been eating until sundown. We capped it off with some bubble tea before I finally ran to a standstill and went home straight to bed at the late hour of 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment