July 18, 2007

Abandoned City

"Gary Indiana is about the closest thing I have ever seen to an abandoned city. It is becoming a modern day Mayan city, buildings remaining but people getting out.

Just across the border from Chicago, Gary is a city that has fallen on bad times. I heard a lot of things about Gary before coming there. It was supposed to have a high crime rate, white people had been warned to stay out of town. But David from Forgotten Detroit assured me it was safe to explore. Sure enough we had no problems when we were there. No one bothered us or gave us a second look. I didn't feel unsafe at any time. It was an okay place to explore. Even though whole city blocks had been abandoned and bulldozed it looked okay."

From urbanadventure.org

2 comments:

  1. I like your comparison to a Mayan city.

    Can't ever hear the name Gary, Indiana without thinking about the song from the Music Man...

    There is just one place
    That can light my face.
    Gary, Indiana, Gary Indiana,
    Not Louisiana, Paris, France, New York, or Rome, but--
    Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary Indiana,
    My home sweet home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have made it clear that that comment was by someone on another blog.

    ReplyDelete